by George Dienhart
The Chambliss- Martin race for the US Senate is starting to tighten up. The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC) has recently dumped over a half million dollars in to the campaign of Democrat Jim Martin. Unfortunately, Chambliss' seat is now seen close enough that the Democrats are willing to dump massive amounts of cash into the race. It's seems that as far as the DSCC is concerned, money makes the man.
I, for one, do not agree. As I have previously stated, Martin is just another example of an empty suit politician. Not only is he far to liberal- he also is content to hide his views from the voters. He has yet to take a stand, or even offer a glimmer of information as to what is important to him. For a politician, this is a key omission.
A politician, by nature, is a media whore. As a politician, you have to be- it's how you get the word out about your campaign. There are only 3 reasons to hide.
- You are an idiot propped up by a local machine. As far as Martin is concerned, the jury is still out on this one...
- There is a scandal lurking. this is doubtful- even the increasingly leftist and incompetent big media outlets in Georgia would have run with a scandal story.
- You are completely out of touch with your constituency. Bingo!
I'm not 100% sure on this, but it seems that point 3 is the most probable. Martin is riding the Obama wave- and if you are going to ride on somebody's coattails, you should be prepared to be compared to them. In the case of a Conservative Georgia electorate, emulating Obama is not going to get you across the finish line.
This leaves Georgia voters as the recipient of more attack ads, while also coming up short in knowledge about the ever more slippery Jim Martin. The Atlanta Journal- Constitution reported that the five television stations that have received the bulk of the media buy have not yet even seen the ad they will be running. Again the Martin campaign is hiding.
The campaign would not be hiding the ads if they were policy-centric. I suspect they are more "angry, white guy" ads like the one the ad I kept hearing on the radio. You'll remember those as the "Thank YOU, Saxby" campaign. These ads offered a increasingly angry white male unfairly recounting the ways that Saxby has not lived up to conservative expectations. The implied solution? Vote for the liberal Jim Martin. That's not an option for Georgians.
I have repeatedly called for Martin to tell us where he stands on the issues. Here is a breakdown, from his website:
- The economy. Marin believes we should spend less. Okay- everyone believes that. He also believes in creating "Green collar jobs". At what cost? This will require massive subsidies- which contradicts his stand on lower spending.
- Iraq- His website says that the Bush strategy has failed. I guess his handlers wrote this before the Surge...
- Health care. Martin believes in "Health care for every American." I wonder who he believes should pay for it? (HINT: Take a close look in the mirror. If the person you see currently pays for health care- he or she will be paying more for it under "Martinomics".
- Energy. Not a hint of drilling on the Martin website. Just more vague environmentalism- and a picture of a windmill!
As you can see, Martin is quick to criticize Chambliss, but is not offering up anything close to solutions. The correct solution for Georgia is easy to name. It's Saxby Chambliss.